Trump says he's 'ready to meet' Iran leaders without preconditions

Source: Washington Examiner | July 30, 2018 | Steven Nelson

President Trump said Monday that he’s “ready to meet” Iranian President Hassan Rouhani without preconditions.

“I’m ready to meet any time they want to,” Trump said during a press conference with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.

Trump’s remarks at the White House follow his recent meetings with other high-profile U.S. strategic adversaries, including North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“I’ll meet with anybody. I believe in meeting,” Trump said, adding: “I would certainly meet with Iran if they wanted to meet. I don’t know that they’re ready yet. They’re having a hard time right now.”

Trump praised his May decision to end U.S. participation in former President Barack Obama’s multinational nuclear deal with Iran and said that he believes he might get a better deal.

Although Obama saying he was prepared to negotiate with Iran without preconditions was a major issue in the 2008 campaign, Trump echoed the former president’s controversial remarks.

“No preconditions, no. If they want to meet, I’ll meet. Any time they want. Any time they want,” Trump said. “It’s good for the country, good for them, good for us, and good for the world. No preconditions. If they want to meet, I’ll meet.”

Trump said his willingness to meet is not “from strength or from weakness. I think it’s an appropriate thing to do.”

“Speaking with other people, especially when you’re talking about potentials of war and death and famine and lots of other things, you meet. There’s nothing wrong with meeting,” he said.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.