Trump threatens German car companies with tariffs

Source: Washington Examiner | January 16, 2017 | Anna Giaritelli

President-elect Trump has warned German car companies they should start producing more vehicles in the U.S., or they will face a 35 percent import tariff.

The businessman-turned-politician criticized BMW, Daimler and Volkswagen in remarks in the German newspaper Bild Monday.

“If you want to build cars in the world, then I wish you all the best. You can build cars for the United States, but for every car that comes to the USA, you will pay 35 percent tax,” Trump said in remarks translated into German.

“I would tell BMW that if you are building a factory in Mexico and plan to sell cars to the USA, without a 35 percent tax, then you can forget that.”

The comments sent Volkswagen’s stock shares down 2.2 percent, while BMW and Daimler saw 1.5 percent drops.

…..

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #12862

“Like most of Trump’s plans, his 35 percent import tariff will play well with some and looks good on the surface, but only causes more harm than good. It’s time for him to stop talking about it.”

ConservativeGranny #12872

Another day, another company that Trump is trying to bully. I wonder if anyone has told him that he needs to get this past Congress first?

Dom Ruinart #12908

BMW and Mercedes have plants in the US. Plus, Mercedes owns Chrysler.

Congress is not going to go along with this bluster.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.