Trump threatens to veto omnibus over lack of wall funding, DACA fix

Source: The Hill | March 23, 2018 | Jordan Fabian and Max Greenwood

President Trump on Friday threatened to veto a massive $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill, raising the prospect of a government shutdown.

The president vented his frustration that the measure does not include enough funding for his long-promised border wall between the U.S. and Mexico or protections for young immigrants covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

“I am considering a VETO of the Omnibus Spending Bill based on the fact that the 800,000 plus DACA recipients have been totally abandoned by the Democrats (not even mentioned in Bill) and the BORDER WALL, which is desperately needed for our National Defense, is not fully funded,” Trump tweeted.

The tweet comes after the White House reassured lawmakers that Trump would sign the spending bill, pleasing leaders in both parties who scrambled to reach a deal before Friday’s funding deadline.

“Let’s cut right to the chase. Is the president going to sign the bill? The answer is yes,” White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Thursday.

If Trump instead vetoes the measure, it would trigger a government shutdown beginning Saturday. 

Members of the House and Senate have already begun to leave Washington ahead of a two-week holiday recess and are not prepared to quickly pass a stopgap spending measure.

……..

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #22570

Consistent #22573

ConservativeGranny #22574

It’s all an act. He likes the drama. Just like last time they shut down for a couple of days and in the end passed a bill and spent a ton of money. He has to at least look like he is putting up a fight for his fans.

He likes everyone having their holiday plans disrupted so they can beg him to sign the bill. He is a very sick man. I just wonder how long the GOP is going to put up with his shenanigans.

EVERYDAY #22575

I’ve been busy and just now heard Trump signed it.

It’s all I can do to prevent myself from saying, “I told you so” to his most fervent fans.

Maybe now, the Trump cult will finally realize he has lied to them and will continue to lie to them.

Or not. There are still quite a few who will fawn over him no matter what he says or does.

The Republican Party has officially lost both houses of congress. And if Trump really wants a second term, he can forget about that too. There is speculation that he may not want to run again in 2020. He accomplished what he set out to do — bambozzle his way into the White House. He doesn’t need to do all that again.

Consistent #22579

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.