Trump warns China: 'I am a Tariff Man'

Source: Washington Examiner | December 4, 2018 | Sean Higgins

President Trump dramatically reaffirmed his support for tariffs Tuesday, declaring in a tweet that he is “a Tariff Man” as part of a warning that China will face punitive measures if a deal is not struck in the 90-window for trade negotiations.

“….I am a Tariff Man. When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so. It will always be the best way to max out our economic power. We are right now taking in $billions in Tariffs. MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN,” Trump said.

…….

He added: “…But if a fair deal is able to be made with China, one that does all of the many things we know must be finally done, I will happily sign. Let the negotiations begin. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

The tweet followed two others in which Trump said that the clock was already ticking on whether he will slap higher rates on China. The administration has threatened to increase the existing 10 percent tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to 25 percent if a deal cannot be reached. He also affirmed that U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, a hardliner on protecting domestic industries from foreign competition, will be heading up the negotiations.

…….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #26683

Consistent #26684

Consistent #26685

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.