Turkish military says it has taken control of country

Source: Bloomberg TV | July 15, 2016 |

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #8044

Consistent #8045

EVERYDAY #8048

I don’t know if a military takeover pis good or bad. I was in Turkey as part of a Mediterranean cruise in 1999. At the time, the country was governed by “civilians” as a secular republic. No mullahs in power. Turkey was also very friendly toward the west. it was trying to develop its tourism industry, so the people loved us Americans (and our dollars).

The tour guide was a woman dressed in western style. No head scarf or burqa, although I saw some women dressed in those. Women had choices , they could drive and they had careers.

However, the guide was worried. More and more uber-conservatives were being elected to Parliament and she feared these conservatives would oppress women like her if they attained real control of the government. Of course, this was 2 years before 9-11, so at the time I didn’t really think about her concerns. Now I do. The country has been moving more and more toward a society like Iran. And the terrorists are not only tolerated, but actively supported.

Perhaps the military can move Turkey back to the secular society and government it once had. Or not.

Consistent #8050

Consistent #8051

Consistent #8052

Consistent #8053

Consistent #8054

Consistent #8055

Consistent #8056

Consistent #8057

Consistent #8058

Consistent #8059

Consistent #8060

Consistent #8061

Consistent #8062

Consistent #8063

Consistent #8064

slhancock1948 #8065

We lived in Turkey for 6 years. It’s true that the military is doing its constitutional job. The constitution declares that no religious party can become the head of state, but Erdogan moved quickly to assassinate, jail and demote over 350 military leaders…top brass. Why ANY of them would enter into any kind of rapprochement with him is unbelievable, but I pray that the coup is successful. Erdogan has changed the country significantly from when we were there. It is no longer welcoming to westerners, like is was…oh, well maybe at the Grand Bazaar, but not overall like before. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this. Turkey is a beast nation, from the Daniel visions. Chapter 7, to be exact.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Consistent #8067

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.