Venezuela's Guaidó initiates coup

Source: The Hill | April 30, 2019 | Chris Mills Rodrigo

National Assembly leader Juan Guaidó, recognized as interim president of Venezuela by more than fifty countries, took to the streets of Caracas Tuesday to call for Venezuelans to rise up and overthrow president Nicolas Maduro.

In a series of tweets, Guaidó said the plan to “usurp” Maduro was entering its “final phase” and called on the country’s armed forces to join him.

“The people of Venezuela have begin the end of the usurpation,” Guaidó tweeted. “In this moment I find myself with the principal units of our Armed Forces initiating the final phase of Operation Liberty.” 

Earlier Tuesday Guaidó and his supporters freed activist Leopoldo Lopez, the founder Guaidó’s political party Voluntad Popular, from house arrest. 

“I want to tell the Venezuelan people: This is the moment to take to the streets and accompany these patriotic soldiers,” Lopez, who had been detained since 2014 for leading anti-government protests, said while marching in the streets with Guaidó, according to the Associated Press. “Everyone should come to the streets, in peace.”

The group of military members and citizens joining Guaidó’s push to oust Maduro was around 70 and growing Tuesday morning, according to Reuters.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.