Liberty University board member knocks Falwell's endorsement of Trump

Source: The Hill | March 1, 2016 | Jesse Byrnes

The chairman of Liberty University’s executive committee is knocking the endorsement of Donald Trump by the Christian school’s president.

“Donald Trump is the only candidate who has dealt almost exclusively in the politics of personal insult,” Mark DeMoss, who sits on the Liberty University’s board, told The Washington Post in a story published Tuesday.

“The bullying tactics of personal insult have no defense — and certainly not for anyone who claims to be a follower of Christ. That’s what’s disturbing to so many people. It’s not Christ-like behavior that Liberty has spent 40 years promoting with its students,” DeMoss said.

“I’ve been concerned for Liberty University for a couple of months now, and I’ve held my tongue,” DeMoss continued. “I think a lot of what we’ve seen from Donald Trump will prove to be difficult to explain by evangelicals who have backed him. Watching last weekend’s escapades about the KKK, I don’t see how an evangelical backer can feel good about that.”

Trump has faced condemnation from his rivals and Republican Party leaders after apparently waffling during a weekend interview over the support of former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard David Duke.

Trump disavowed Duke’s support at a news conference last Friday, though he dodged questions about whether he would disavow the KKK on Sunday.

DeMoss made the comments on the eve of Super Tuesday as Republican voters head to the polls in a dozen states, including his home state of Georgia.

…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #1939

Consistent #1940

Consistent #1941

slhancock1948 #1953

Falwell, Jr was warned by some of the board members when Trump first spoke and he wanted to endorse him then. He backed off, but then I guess he felt the firestorm had passed, or maybe Trump gave him a good donation to to cover any grief that might be felt after his endorsement. At least it sounds like the people in Lynchburg were not particularly turned on by Trump!

I’m not surprised Trump won VA because it is trending blue, but I sure wish that Cruz had tied or come in a lot closer.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Victoria #1956

Any prominant Christian who endorsed Trump had to be doing it for future or present money.

The minister of the Baptist Church in Dallas, endorsed Cruz, appeared on big Fox News endorsing Cruz. Then Trump came to the state the weekend before the Tuesday election, and low and behold, that minister endorsed Trump – even being on the woman judge’s Fox program on that weekend, endorsing Trump. I have to believe it was due to money, present or future.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.