Cruz courts AIPAC, swiping Trump in process

Source: Politico | March 21, 2016 | Katie Glueck

“Let me say at the outset,” the Texas senator said as he took the stage at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee’s annual gathering, “Perhaps to the surprise of the previous speaker, Palestine has not existed since 1948.”

That was a jab at Trump, who spoke right before Cruz and several times referred to the Palestinian territories, some of which are under Israeli control, as “Palestine” — a definite faux pas in some pro-Israel circles.

Cruz, who is seeking to emerge as the Republican Party’s anti-Trump standard bearer, sprinkled several other swipes at Trump throughout his address to AIPAC, a high-profile Washington conference that drew thousands of people and every presidential candidate except for Bernie Sanders.

In his address, Cruz sought to cast himself as a knowledgeable and, as a senator, experienced champion of Israel — in contrast, he suggested, to Trump.

“My leading Republican opponent promised he, as president, would be neutral between Israel and the Palestinians,” Cruz said. “Let me be very, very clear: As president, I will not be neutral.”

Trump had held that position, though in his address ahead of Cruz, he appeared to reverse himself, issuing conditions for the Palestinians ahead of any peace talks, but not for Israel. In an earlier CNN interview, Trump said that it might be too difficult to be neutral “because there’s so much hatred.”

Cruz also tweaked Trump over previously suggesting that he could negotiate a better nuclear deal with Iran, and obliquely questioned whether Trump meant it when he promised to move the U.S. embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Cruz’s hawkish and staunchly pro-Israel address otherwise hit on several issues valued deeply by the crowd, including his promises to reverse the Iran nuclear deal on his first day in office, to value Israel as a strategic ally, and to oppose the Boycott, Divest and Sanction movement against Israel.

….

While John Kasich and Trump waved and quickly made for the exits after their speeches, Cruz took advantage of going last and lingered or a while longer in the crowd, shaking hands and posing for pictures. And during his speech, he sought to connect with the crowd by throwing out references to religious texts including the Talmud and the Megillah, a text tied to the Jewish holiday of Purim, which takes place this week.

Am Yisrael Chai,” he concluded, to cheers, in Hebrew, offering up a triumphant slogan that translates as, “the People of Israel live.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #2995

silver pines #3001

Doing one post before I go to bed….husband’s grandmother passed away, so today has been busy, and tomorrow will be, as well. Hope to get caught up afterward.

Consistent, thank you for posting this thread and for the link to Cruz’s speech. I’ll hopefully be able to watch it in entirety later this week.

There’s a thread up at FR….out of about 100 posts, I counted a dozen favorable to Ted. The rest were stupid, mindless raving and character assassination by dumbassed (sorry) Trumptard jackals. Their passion and love for their tangerine boyfriend is a jealous love, indeed.

Sadly, some are still professing love for FR, attempting to reason with idiots, and asking said idiots to “please” refrain from posting on Cruz threads.

Guys. Freepers. Stop it. Gather your dignity and your self-respect about you, and leave that germ-ridden sewer. Don’t be abused spouses. Shake the dirt off your feet—and into the faces of those drooling morons.

It’s just a website. It isn’t the home of liberty on the net, or the last great hope for conservative values, or whatever slogan JimRob shouts with his caps and multiple exclamation points as he claims to be on a “mission from God” (I wonder if he even knows he was quoting the Blues Brothers).

It might have been something, once, but those days are gone. I remember when posters were encouraged to contribute well-thought-out posts in order to add to the conversation. Now, you’re much more likely to see some Trumptard yelling the “F” word and hurling juvenile insults (much like his intellectually challenged idol).

And JimRob? Sometimes I think Freepers have been conditioned to culthood all along…Jim isn’t your second father (as one fawning Freeper put it). He isn’t a superhero or your Fearless Leader (another direct quote) or the second coming of George Washington. He’s some guy who runs a website, who deserves respect for his military service but who has become just another dumb, snarling Trumpbot.

There is no conservatism on FR any longer. It’s become a joke all over the internet. People on social media mock it and call it a liberal cesspool. Wake up, guys. Get out and away from there. You’ll feel better. You’ll breathe clean air, unfunked by the exhalations of Branch Trumpidians. And your mind will clear and you’ll realize you don’t need that pit of lunacy after all.

Come here, or don’t. Just leave. I really can’t stand to see decent people trying and failing to deal rationally with barking, slavering moonbats.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.