11 Senate Republicans say they will object to Electoral College results Wednesday

Source: The Hill | January 2, 2021 | Jordain Carney

Eleven Senate Republicans on Saturday announced that they will object to the Electoral College results Wednesday, when Congress convenes in a joint session to formally count the vote. 

GOP Sens. Ted Cruz (Texas), Ron Johnson (Wis.), James Lankford (Okla.), Steve Daines (Mont.), John Kennedy (La.), Marsha Blackburn (Tenn.), and Mike Braun (Ind.), and Senators-elect Cynthia Lummis (Wyo.), Roger Marshall (Kan.), Bill Hagerty (Tenn.), and Tommy Tuberville (Ala.) said in a joint statement that they will object to the election results until there is a 10-day audit.

“Congress should immediately appoint an Electoral Commission, with full investigatory and fact-finding authority, to conduct an emergency 10-day audit of the election returns in the disputed states,” they said. “Once completed, individual states would evaluate the Commission’s findings and could convene a special legislative session to certify a change in their vote, if needed.

“Accordingly, we intend to vote on Jan. 6 to reject the electors from disputed states as not ‘regularly given’ and ‘lawfully certified’ (the statutory requisite), unless and until that emergency 10-day audit is completed,” they added. 

The group’s announcement now means that at least a dozen GOP senators will object on Wednesday. GOP Sen. Josh Hawley (Mo.) was the first senator to announce he would be joining a band of House conservatives to force a debate and vote on the Electoral College results. ;

Cruz, like Hawley, is considered to be a potential 2024 White House contender.

……..

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45850

Consistent #45851

Consistent #45852

Consistent #45857

Consistent #45859

Consistent #45861

EVERYDAY #45862

I’m now fortunate that my house rep is a Democrat, so no worries there. But one of my two senators is Republican Pat Toomey who is retiring in 2022 when his term expires. You can be sure that whoever is the Democrat nominee in 2022 will get my vote.

This is not the scenario I wanted. I don’t agree with the Democrat platform. But the Republican Party has not only abandoned conservatism, it has also abandoned the Constitution and the rule of law. It is now a cult worshiping Donald Trump. Unless another party aligned with conservative principles emerges, I have only one choice — to vote Democrat from here on.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.