Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas addressed the 2016 graduating class at Hillsdale College in Michigan, telling the graduates to lead by example and to not hide their faith and beliefs.
Thomas, 67, appointed to the Supreme Court by President George H.W. Bush, gave the commencement address to 353 Hillsdale graduates.
Here are 15 quotes from Thomas’ speech:
1. “As you go through life, try to be that person whose actions teach others how to be better as people and better citizens.”
2. “Stand up for others when they’re being treated unfairly in small things and large.”
3. “Take the time to listen to that friend who’s having a difficult time.”
4. Much that seemed inconceivable is now firmly or universally established,” Thomas said. “Hallmarks of my youth, such as patriotism and religion, seem more like outliers, if not afterthoughts. So in a sense I feel out of place doing this or any commencement. My words will perhaps be more of a vintage nature than current in context.” (via MLive.com)
5. “Do not hide your faith and your beliefs under a bushel basket, especially in this world that seems to have gone mad with political correctness,” Thomas said, (Via ConservativeHQ.com).
6. “Treat others the way you would like to be treated if you stood in their shoes.”
7. “These small lessons become the unplanned syllabus for becoming a good citizen. Your efforts to live them will help to form the fabric of a civil society, and a free and prosperous nation where inherent equality and liberty are invaluable.”
8. “We must be reminded there is work to be done. The world increasingly embraces all that is wrong, false, and ugly. We are among the lonely few who have all the right questions.”
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.