21-year-old teacher is youngest woman ever to row alone across the Atlantic Ocean

Source: The Hill | February 22, 2021 | Joseph Guzman

“It just felt like I needed to do it,” Jasmine Harrison said.

A British swimming teacher has set a world record as the youngest woman to row solo across any ocean after finishing the 3,000-mile journey across the Atlantic. 

Jasmine Harrison, 21, departed from the Canary Islands on Dec. 12 and arrived in Antigua in the Caribbean 70 days, three hours and 48 minutes later as part of the 2020 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge. The ocean rowing event includes dozens of boats from around the world with some solo rowers and others with teams of up to four. 

……..

During the trip, Harrison would row for two hours and sleep for two hours on rotation. While she was cut off from the world, she was able to use a satellite phone to make calls back home. 

Harrison said she was inspired to participate in the challenge after seeing the 2018 race finish while she was teaching swimming in the Caribbean. 

“It just felt like I needed to do it,” Harrison told Good Morning Britain Monday, adding that she only started rowing in July. “I knew I wouldn’t be happy until I had rowed across the Atlantic.” 

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.