57 Buffalo officers resign from Emergency Response Team in response to officers' suspension

Source: The Hill | June 5, 2020 | J. Edward Moreno

The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team has resigned after the department suspended two officers without pay when a video surfaced showing them pushing over a 75-year-old protester.

John Evans, president of the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association announced the 57-member team’s resignation at a press conference Friday.

“Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders,” Evans told a local NBC affiliate.

In a graphic video shot by a WBFO journalist, the elderly man is seen slowly approaching the police until one officer tells him to move and then pushes him.

A person can be heard yelling “He’s bleeding out of his ear!” and calling for medics. The man is seen laying on his back with blood trickling from his head.

The Buffalo Police Department initially said the man tripped and fell.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown (D) said in a statement that he “was deeply disturbed by the video.”

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) said in a tweet that “Police Officers must enforce — NOT ABUSE — the law,” adding that he and Brown agreed that the “officers involved should be immediately suspended pending a formal investigation.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39889

Consistent #39890

EVERYDAY #39894

I keep watching the video, but I can’t tell what the man said to the officers. One story says the man was trying to return a police helmet, but I don’t see a helmet in his hand, although there is something in his right hand that looks like a paper. As for him being pushed hard enough to cause him to fall — not sure about that either. He might have been tapped by one officer. The other officer had what looked like a baton in his/her hands, but I did not see it used in any way against the man.

Really don’t know what happened here. Looks like a rush to judgment based on rumor and not so clear evidence.

Consistent #39895

Consistent #39896

It is clear to me that one of the officers pushed him. The worst part is that they were ignoring him, letting him bleed on the sidewalk.

He had a helmet in his left hand and cell phone in his right hand.

WARNING: graphic video

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.