57 percent of Republicans say coronavirus death toll is 'acceptable'

Source: The Hill | August 23, 2020 | Justine Coleman

A majority of Republicans said that the number of coronavirus deaths in the U.S. — now topping 176,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University — is “acceptable,” according to a poll released Sunday.

A CBS News-YouGov poll determined that 57 percent of Republican respondents said the U.S. death toll for COVID-19 has been “acceptable,” while 43 percent said it was “not acceptable.” Republicans were the only partisan group of which a majority of voters said the number of deaths has been acceptable. 

Among Democrats, 10 percent said the coronavirus death toll in the U.S. has been acceptable, while 90 percent said it was not acceptable. For independents, 33 percent labeled the death toll as acceptable, and 67 percent called it unacceptable. 

Republican respondents also differed among all voters on whether the U.S.’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic is “going well,” with 73 percent agreeing with that assessment. A total of 38 percent of all voters said it was going well.

Most voters at 62 percent said the pandemic handling is “going badly,” but only 27 percent of Republicans agreed. 

Republican participants were also more likely than all voters to say that the U.S. death toll is actually fewer than what’s being reported – at 64 percent. Overall, 36 percent of all voters supported that statement.

A total of 44 percent of all respondents thought the death toll is actually higher than reported, while 18 percent of Republicans concurred. 

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42194

EVERYDAY #42196

I’m willing to bet the ones who thought 170,000 deaths were Trump supporters. Many of them have the same “I don’t care” attitude as their god. Their favorite theme, when any coronavirus-related death is mentioned is “I don’t know anyone who has contracted the virus, much less died from it.” That is the kind of attitude that gets people killed. It is symptomatic of those who have abandoned the One True God for a god who only cares about himself.

ConservativeGranny #42203

I wonder if this “acceptance” extends to themselves?

EVERYDAY #42204

Usually, what shakes a cultist’s faith is whe something catastrophic happens to him/her or a loved one because of that faith. So I’d say yes, if COVID took the life of someone close, maybe that would change a cult member’s mind about Trump.

Lately though, I have become increasingly unwilling to wait for then cult to realize it has been had by Trump. I don’t like to vote Democrat — I don’t like then party’s agenda — but I keep thinking I may have to become proactive in preventing Trump from getting a second term. Used to be Trump was annoying and frustrating, but now, having him in the Oval Office has become dangerous. When I vote, my preference is to vote FOR a candidate because I believe he/she will be the best for the job. This year though I may have to vote AGAINST Donald Trump by voting for Joe Biden.

I truly believe another four years of Trump will kill us all. Under Democrat rule, we may have to endure at least four years of an horrific, job killing, rights killing agenda. But there may be an upside. This election could be the end of the totally useless Republican party, but out of the ashes may rise a new, truly conservative party – one that, if embraced by the electorate, could undo the damage of both parties that started even before Trump.

ConservativeGranny #42212

I understand how you feel. I always have voted 4 someone. I never like the “lesser of two evils” excuse. In the past though I have never believed that if my guy lost the country wouldn’t survive. This time feels different. We must get rid of Trump and all of the GOP that supported him. I am not thrilled about Joe Biden but I can live with it. And maybe see my grandchildren and parents again,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.