A Note to Conservatives Who Are Secular

Source: Townhall | 4.5.2016 | Dennis Prager

The most profound thinkers in America are conservative. There are, of course, bright liberal and leftist thinkers, but I can’t think of one who approaches the depth and wisdom of the best conservative writers and thinkers. What liberal historian, for example, approaches the understanding of life and history that author Paul Johnson has exhibited in his many works of history? Who on the left matches psychiatrist/writer Theodore Dalrymple’s insight into the underclass? What left-wing columnists understand human nature, the state of mankind, or contemporary America as do George Will, Charles Krauthammer and Thomas Sowell, or many of the leading columnists at publications such as National Review, City Journal, Commentary Magazine or the Wall Street Journal?

I write this to make it clear that my admiration for the leading conservative writers, columnists and thinkers is deep and abiding.

There is, however, a “but.” 

The vast majority of leading conservative writers, just like their liberal colleagues, have a secular outlook on life. With few exceptions, the conservative political and intellectual worlds are oblivious to the consequences of secularism. They are unaware of the disaster that godlessness in the West has led to.

Most leading Republicans and most of the wealthy donors to the Republican Party — in addition to virtually all libertarian politicians and think tank scholars — are either uninterested in the death of Judeo-Christian religions and values in America and the West, or they’re OK with it. They think that America can survive the death of God and religion, that fiscal and other forms of conservatism without social conservatism can preserve America.

read more at:  http://beta.townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/2016/04/05/denn

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • slhancock1948 #3817

A good article about the role of faith in American politics and life. We became a great nation because of our faith, that in spite of great odds, has carried us through many a rough time.

Our prosperity has led us to believe that we do not need God any longer and can relegate Him to a back shelf where we give a little credence to Him, but praise our own deeds. Reminds me of Nebuchadnezzar. Old Neb spent 7 years in the wilderness until he woke up and gave God the glory.

Pray for righteousness to be restored and for the peace of Jerusalem

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.