‘Absolutely insane’: Mike Lee rips Iran briefing as GOP unites behind Trump

Source: Politico | January 8, 2020 | Melanie Zanona and Marianne Levine

The administration’s defense of the Soleimani killing outraged the Utah Republican, even as most in the party backed the president.

Most Republican senators on Wednesday left an Iran briefing from top Trump administration officials satisfied. Not Mike Lee.

“The worst briefing I’ve had in my nine years” in the Senate, said the Utah Republican.

Lee fumed that the officials warned against even debating legislation to restrict President Donald Trump’s authority to strike Iran — blasting their comments as “un-American” and “unconstitutional,” not to mention way too short.

“They had to leave after 75 minutes while they’re in the process of telling us that we need to be good little boys and girls and run along and not debate this in public,” Lee said of the briefers, which included Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Defense Secretary Mark Esper and CIA Director Gina Haspel. “I find that absolutely insane.”

The briefing, which centered on Trump’s decision to kill top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani, convinced both Lee and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to back a resolution from Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) forcing the president to stop military action against Iran if not authorized by Congress unless presented with an imminent threat. Democrats need to win over two more Republicans for the resolution to pass and Kaine could bring it to the floor as soon as next week.

“I walked into the briefing undecided, I walked out decided, specifically because of what happened in that briefing,” Lee said.

………

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #34684

Consistent #34685

Consistent #34687

Consistent #34689

Consistent #34691

Consistent #34697

Consistent #34703

Consistent #34732

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.