Acting DHS secretary: I don't need 'invitation' from Portland to deploy officers

Source: The Hill | July 20, 2020 | John Bowden

Acting Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Chad Wolf argued Monday that he does not need authorization or an “invitation” from local officials before deploying federal law enforcement assets to detain suspects.

In an interview with Fox News, Wolf defended his authority to conduct law enforcement operations on the streets of Portland, Ore., where local officials have requested that DHS withdraw after videos of protesters being snatched off the street by officers in unmarked cars sparked outrage.

“I don’t need invitations by the state, state mayors or state governors to do our job. We’re going to do that, whether they like us there or not,” Wolf said.

“We want to work with them,” he added. “And we have a great working relationship with the vast majority of local law enforcement. However there are some communities that, again, wand to breed this environment that allows this lawlessness.”

His remarks mirrored those of acting Deputy Homeland Security Secretary Ken Cuccinelli, who told CNN’s “New Day” on Monday that other cities experiencing protests over the death of George Floyd could see DHS deployments should agents learn of “planned attacks” against federal officers or facilities, as he alleged was the case in Portland.

“If we get the same kind of intelligence in other places about threats to other federal facilities or officers, we would respond the same way,” Cuccinelli said.

The two have argued that the Trump administration retains authority to conduct law enforcement activities in cities where they are not welcomed by local officials, including in Oregon, where Gov. Kate Brown (D) insisted that DHS withdraw. Portland’s mayor has made similar calls.

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41315

Consistent #41316

EVERYDAY #41317

Trump hires only the best, ya know.

I expect Mr. Wolf is doing what Trump told him to do. But when this blows up, when the courts throw out the cases of those arrested, when courts rule that this deployment is unconstitutional — guess who will be blamed? Hint: it won’t be the tin pot dictator wannabe presently occupying the White House.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.