Acting DHS secretary says he didn't know naturalization ceremony would be part of GOP convention

Source: The Hill | August 30, 2020 | Justine Coleman

Acting Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Chad Wolf said Sunday that he didn’t know the naturalization ceremony that he conducted last week would be featured during the Republican National Convention.

ABC’s Jon Karl pressed Wolf on whether he was aware that the ceremony, during which the acting secretary naturalized five new American citizens, would be aired as part of the GOP convention. 

Wolf initially defended naturalization ceremonies as a “legitimate role for the department to do,” saying the department conducts “hundreds, if not, thousands of them every year.”

He said he has participated in several with President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence and called the ceremony an “official event at the White House.”

“But, sir, respectfully, that was not my question,” Karl responded. “My question was, did you know when you took part in that ceremony that it was going to be used that night at the Republican convention?”

“No,” Wolf answered. “What I knew is again, participating in a naturalization ceremony, we had a number of [U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service] employees there, as they do every naturalization ceremony, making sure that that ceremony goes off without a hitch.”

“They were giving that oath of allegiance to those individuals there,” he added. “And again, we’ll continue to do that, because that’s our mission at the department.”

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.