Aides advised Trump to stay out of Chinese tech executive's case: report

Source: The Hill | December 13, 2018 | Emily Birnbaum

Aides have advised President Trump to stay out of the case involving a top Chinese technology executive, a source told The Wall Street Journal.

Some of Trump’s advisers have warned him that it would not be productive for the White House to intervene in Huawei chief financial officer (CFO) Meng Wanzhou’s arrest, after Trump suggested he might during a Reuters interview on Tuesday. Huawei is a Chinese telecom giant. 

Trump during the Reuters interview said he would intervene in the case if it would help close a trade deal with China.

“Whatever’s good for this country, I would do,” he told Reuters. “If I think it’s good for what will be certainly the largest trade deal ever made – which is a very important thing – what’s good for national security – I would certainly intervene if I thought it was necessary.”

Meng was arrested earlier this month by Canadian authorities and faces extradition to the U.S. She has been accused of violating trade sanctions against Iran. She was granted bail on Tuesday by a Canadian judge and will remain in Canada while she faces proceedings to extradite her to the U.S.

Trump asked his aides what his options are in terms of intervening, the source told the Journal.

The president’s aides reportedly said he should leave the matter to the Department of Justice (DOJ).

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.