Alabama weatherman stays on air after tornado damages his home

Source: The Hill | March 26, 2021 | Thomas Moore

An Alabama weatherman learned tornadoes had damaged his home while he was on the air but continued reporting on the weather crisis, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

James Spann, chief meteorologist for ABC 33/40 in Birmingham, was reporting on the deadly spate of tornadoes that ravaged Alabama on Thursday, killing at least five people, when he took a brief break to check on his family.

“What I’m doing is texting my wife to be sure she’s in the shelter,” Spann told viewers, according to the Post. “So again, if we can go back to that camera.”

……..

In a little less than 15 minutes, Spann came back on air to explain that tornadoes hit and damaged his home before resuming his work.

“We had major damage at my house,” Spann said. “I had to be sure — my wife is OK, but the tornado came right through there, and it’s not good. It’s bad. It’s bad.”

Spann is an Emmy Award-winning broadcaster and is well known in Alabama for his work. He was recently named “Alabama’s most recognizable and influential TV weatherman” by state media outlet AL.com.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.