Amash says it's Congress' duty to impeach Trump

Source: The Hill | December 18, 2019 | Juliegrace Brufke

Rep. Justin Amash (I-Mich.), who left the Republican party last summer, reiterated his support for articles of impeachment during debate on the House floor shortly before the historic vote took place.

“I rise today in support of these articles of impeachment. I come to this floor not as a Democrat, not as a Republican, but as an American who cares deeply about the constitution, the rule of law, and the rights of the people under our system of government,” he said in his speech.

“Impeachment is not about policy disagreements or ineffective governance, nor is it about criminality based on statutes that did not exist at the time our constitution was written. Impeachment is about maintaining the integrity of the office of the presidency and ensuring that executive power is directed toward proper ends in accordance with the law.”

Amash went on to say he believed it is lawmakers’ “duty” to impeach Trump, arguing he violated the public’s trust with his dealings with Ukraine and accused the president of misusing his power for personal gain.

“President Donald J. Trump has abused and violated the public trust by using his high office to solicit the aid of a foreign power, not for the benefit of the United States of America, but instead for his personal and political gain,” he continued.

“His actions reflect precisely the type of conduct the framers of the constitution intended to remedy through the power of impeach and — impeachment and it is our duty to impeach him.”

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #34282

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.