Amash splits with Republicans, votes to authorize subpoena for Kellyanne Conway

Source: The Hill | June 26, 2019 | Olivia Beavers

GOP Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.) broke with House Republicans on Wednesday by voting to authorize a subpoena for Kellyanne Conway, saying lawmakers should hear from the White House counselor about her response to allegations that she repeatedly violated the Hatch Act.

The House Oversight and Reform Committee voted 25-16 to compel Conway’s testimony after she did not appear voluntarily at a hearing focused on her repeated alleged violations of the law, which bars federal officials from using their position to influence elections.

Amash was the only Republican to join Democrats in voting to approve the subpoena. The Michigan Republican, a vocal critic of President Trump, had drawn the ire of the White House last month after calling for the president’s impeachment.

“With respect to the vote, the point is not whether she is violating the Hatch Act or not, it is whether she should comply with the subpoena,” Amash told reporters leaving the committee room.

“But we should have brought her in and had an opportunity to ask her about the Hatch Act and to make her case for why she thinks she is complying with it,” he added.

……..

While leaving the committee room on Wednesday, Amash also broadly hit both parties for taking a different stance when they are in the minority.

“I think both parties when they get into the minority take a different position. It is pretty typical of Washington to have double standards. I don’t say it is one party. I think all parties do that,” Amash said.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.