America's National Zoo welcomes 'little miracle' endangered panda

Source: The Hill | November 23, 2020 | Anagha Srikanth

The cub’s name is Xiao Qi Ji.

This year’s Christmas miracle came a little early, in the form of a new baby giant panda born this August at the National Zoo. Now, the “healthy and strong cub” has a name: Xiao Qi Ji.

It means “little miracle.”

“Connecting people around the world with nature, whether in person or in this virtual setting, is a cornerstone of our mission to conserve and protect giant pandas for future generations,” said Steve Monfort, John and Adrienne Mars Director of the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute, in a release. “Like many who have followed our giant panda cub since his birth last summer, I tune into the Giant Panda Cam from time to time. Watching Xiao Qi Ji always puts a smile on my face. We are grateful that those who share in our joy have helped us pick the perfect name for our panda cub.”

And what a miracle indeed. The name was selected out of four Mandarin names put to a public vote online from Nov. 16 to Nov. 20 on the zoo’s website. Xiao Qi Ji was born on Aug. 21, just days after zoo veterinarians confirmed that Mei Xiang was pregnant. There is a 24- to 72-hour window each year that female giant pandas are able to become pregnant and the successful birth marks the first time a zoo in the United States has experienced a successful pregnancy and birth via artificial insemination using frozen semen (courtesy of giant panda Tian Tian).

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #44954

EVERYDAY #44955

Been watching the webcams for some time now. This little guy brings me light in an otherwise dark world.

Xiao Qi Ji will help replenish a giant panda population that has been decimated for a number of years. He is the hope for the future of the speeches.

And he’s incredibly adorable.

ConservativeGranny #44964

I love watching him too. I’ve been watching mostly you tube videos now and lots of animal videos, homesteading and mudlarking videos in the UK are interesting. They all are an escape from the news and the pandemic. It’s fascinating watching his mother care for him and his awkward attempts at learning to walk and move around.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.