AOC’s mom glad she ditched New York for lower-tax Florida

Source: Washington Examiner | March 4, 2019 | Diana Stancy Correll

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s, D-N.Y., mother doesn’t regret moving from New York to Florida in part due to the lower real estate taxes.

“I was paying $10,000 a year in real estate taxes up north,” Blanca Ocasio-Cortez told the Daily Mail. “I’m paying $600 a year in Florida. It’s stress-free down here.”

Blanca moved to Eustis, Fla., just before her daughter entered the 2018 Democratic primary race against then-Rep. Joe Crowley in a Bronx- and Queens, N.Y.-based district, a contest she won in one of the biggest upsets in recent political history.

Blanca said living in the Yorktown Heights area of New York was growing too expensive. After her husband Sergio’s death, Blanca said that she was at risk of foreclosing on the house on two occasions. However, she finally struck an arrangement with the bank and avoided an eviction.

“I was cleaning houses in the morning and working as a secretary at a hospital in the afternoon. I was working from 6 a.m. until 11 p.m.,” she said. “And I prayed and prayed, and things worked out. After the children graduated from college, I figured it was time for me to move to Florida.”

……

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.