Arkansas' Republican governor says he wouldn't support 2024 Trump run

Source: Politico | February 21, 2021 | Eleanor Mueller

“He’s going to have a voice, as former presidents do, but there’s many voices in our party. … He should not define our future.”

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said Sunday that he would not support a run by former President Donald Trump for reelection in 2024.

“He’s got a good family … and they love America,” the Republican told host Dana Bash on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “But I would not support him for reelection in 2024.”

……..

Hutchinson called on the GOP to pivot away from Trump’s perspective and toward “a different voice for the future of our party.”

“He will only define our party if we let him define our party,” Hutchinson said Sunday. “I think it’s fine for CPAC to invite former President Trump to speak, but how about the other voices? Senator [Bill] Cassidy from Louisiana, those that have different points of view.”

“That’s what we’ve got to embrace,” he went on. Trump “has a loud megaphone, but we have to have many different voices, and in my view, we can’t let him define us for the future because that would just further divide our country and it would hurt our Republican Party.”

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.