At indoor Florida event, Trump urges seniors to shield themselves from Covid

Source: Politico | October 16, 2020 | Quint Forgey

The president added that he perhaps would have remained indoors to avoid possible infection, were it not for the office he held.

President Donald Trump on Friday vowed to shield America’s senior citizens from the coronavirus and directed them to stay home amid the pandemic, addressing a crowd of elderly supporters at an indoor event where mask-wearing was sporadic and not mandated.

“Stay. If you feel good, if you feel safe — because it’s going to be gone — stay where you are,” Trump said in his speech in Fort Myers, Fla. “Don’t leave. Don’t say, ‘Oh gee, I have to get out. The president said, let’s get out.’ Stay where you are.”

Trump insisted he was “working as hard as I can” so older Americans “can kiss and hug your children and grandchildren very soon,” telling his audience: “That’s something I missed also. I will be honest with you.”

The president added that he, too, perhaps would have remained indoors to avoid possible infection, were it not for the office he held. “I might do that if I weren’t in this position. Maybe I’d be doing it, myself,” he said.

The more cautious remarks from the president contradicted the tone Trump has struck at campaign rallies and other official events, where he regularly downplays the threat of the pandemic and urges Americans to restart their daily lives with little regard for the highly contagious disease.

The venue for Trump’s speech Friday, focused on “Protecting America’s Seniors,” offered a similarly glaring contrast — with the president’s team enforcing few mitigation measures to ensure the population most vulnerable to the virus did not contract it.

……..

The 500 or so attendees, a good portion of whom did not wear masks, were kept away from the blistering Florida heat in an air-conditioned ballroom. Their seats were separated somewhat, but many chairs were closer together than the six feet required under most social-distancing guidelines.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43779

Consistent #43783

Consistent #43786

EVERYDAY #43789

Well, seniors could “shield themselves from COVID” if Trump didn’t hold his COVID spreading rallies all over the place. They could have avoided COVID if Trump had been a leader, listened to the experts and done what was recommended by them.

I wonder how many seniors were foolish enough to attend this rally. Even if most stayed away, they are in danger from contracting the virus from some idiot who attended.

Funny that he said he misses hugging and kissing his grandchildren, I’ll bet he never hugged or kissed his kids or grandkids in his entire life.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.