At least 5 passengers on first Caribbean cruise in months tests positive for COVID-19

Source: The Hill | November 12, 2020 | Jordan Williams

At least five people who were aboard the first Caribbean cruise ship in months tested positive for COVID-19, according to a CNN report.

……..

NBC reported earlier on Wednesday that a passenger tested positive for the virus, citing a report from Gene Sloan, a reporter for the website The Points Guy who was on the ship.

Sloan said the captain announced that the passenger aboard SeaDream 1 tested positive on a “preliminary basis.” NBC noted it was not clear what “preliminary basis” means.

Sloan said that all passengers were asked to return to their cabins to isolate and that the ship’s crew was also isolating.

……..

There were 53 passengers and 66 crew members onboard SeaDream 1 at the time the announcement was made, according to Sloan. 

Every passenger on board had to test negative for the virus several days prior to boarding and again on the day of boarding. Another round of testing was conducted Wednesday when the passenger tested positive. 

The ship left Barbados on Saturday and had traveled to Saint Vincent, Canouan Island, and Tobago Cays, according to Sloan. Passengers had not come into contact with island locals, he wrote. 

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #44599

ConservativeGranny #44647

Unbelievable.

EVERYDAY #44650

Decades ago, my late mother and I took several cruises and we had a blast. No health issues. But in recent years, cruises have been plagued by a number of outbreaks — Norwalk virus in particular. I don’t believe cruise lines are as conscientious about health and safety as they once were,.

But I guess there are just some things we can’t do now and cruising is one of them. Even with a small number of people, the risk is too much.

ConservativeGranny #44659

My parents used to go on a lot of cruises too. Never got sick. Things have changed. I can’t believe that anyone thought this was a good idea right now. You would think by now they would have learned that rapid testing is fraught with problems and a negative result does not mean you are not carrying the virus. It can take days for enough of a viral load to give a positive result. It’s about as useless as temperature taking. Another feel-good procedure that makes things worse as it gives a false sense of security. The only prevention is to stay home for now and wear a mask. It will take time for a vaccine to work through the population but people don’t seem to have much grit anymore. I think of all of the sacrifices made in past times during war. The rationing of food and supplies. We are not the same people anymore. Too many Americans are now all for themselves and do not want to make any sacrifices. Everything is now some kind of “right”.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.