Austin cancels South by Southwest festival amid coronavirus threat

Source: Politico | March 6, 2020 | Renuka Rayasam

A number of major companies — including Apple, Facebook, Intel, HBO and Netflix — had already announced they were pulling their employees from the 10-day conference.

AUSTIN, Texas – The city of Austin announced today this year’s South by Southwest festival is being canceled amid an ongoing coronavirus threat, following the lead of other cities that have recently scuttled conferences and other major events.

A number of major companies — including Apple, Facebook, Intel, HBO and Netflix — had already announced they were pulling their employees from the 10-day conference, starting March 13, which includes music, film and technology events.

“The existence of this virus is really unfortunate,” said Austin Mayor Steve Adler. “It’s a really important event to our city in a lot of ways and tied to who we are.”

City and county officials also said they were issuing a local disaster declaration. There are no Covid-19 cases in Austin. Three cases have been identified in Houston. But local officials said they needed to cancel the event, which brings visitors from around the globe to Austin, to mitigate the disease’s spread.

The cancellation delivers a major economic blow to the state. About 300,000 people attend SXSW in Austin every year and organizers say it injects more than $350 million to the local economy.

Festival organizers say it’s the first time in 34 years that the event has been canceled. They are exploring options to reschedule the event or hold a virtual gathering.

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #36137

Consistent #36143

EVERYDAY #36159

Look for a lot of events to be canceled. The CDC is now advising the elderly and/or chronically ill to stay home as much as possible. The H with that. I’m an old, chronically ill person, but I refuse to live in fear. If anyone wants me to stay home, they will have to quarantine me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.