Backlash erupts at video depicting Trump killing media, critics

Source: The Hill | October 14, 2019 | Brett Samuels

A video depicting President Trump shooting and stabbing media organizations and some of his most prominent critics drew widespread backlash after The New York Times reported it was played at a conservative conference over the weekend at Trump’s Doral resort.

Democrats and media organizations warned as the video circulated on YouTube and social media that it could incite further violence, with some calling on Trump to speak out and condemn the clip.

……..

Cindy McCain, the widow of former Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), weighed in after it was reported that the late senator was among those depicted as Trump’s victims in the video.

“Reports describing a violent video played at a Trump Campaign event in which images of reporters & @JohnMcCain are being slain by Pres Trump violate every norm our society expects from its leaders & the institutions that bare their names,” she tweeted. “I stand w/@whca [White House Correspondents’ Association] in registering my outrage.”

……..

The video, which has been uploaded to YouTube and Twitter since the Times first reported on it, is taken from a clip of the film “Kingsman: The Secret Service” and shows Trump’s head superimposed on the body of a character going on a violent rampage inside the “Church of Fake News.”

He is depicted gunning down and stabbing people with the faces of his critics and media organizations’ logos superimposed onto them. Among the outlets featured in the video are Politico, The Washington Post, NPR and The Hill.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), John McCain and Rosie O’Donnell are also among his targets in the video.

Donald Trump, Jr., former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) were among those scheduled to speak at the American Priority conference.

The event’s organizer denounced the video and said his organization was looking into how it was shown at the event.

…….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.