Barr blasts Trump's tweets on Stone case: 'Impossible for me to do my job': ABC News Exclusive

Source: ABC News | February 13, 2020 | Anne Flaherty

The AG spoke with ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

In an exclusive interview, Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Donald Trump “has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case” but should stop tweeting about the Justice Department because his tweets “make it impossible for me to do my job.”

Barr’s comments are a rare break with a president who the attorney general has aligned himself with and fiercely defended. But it also puts Barr in line with many of Trump’s supporters on Capitol Hill who say they support the president but wish he’d cut back on his tweets.

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

When asked if he was prepared for the consequences of criticizing the president – his boss – Barr said “of course” because his job is to run the Justice Department and make decisions on “what I think is the right thing to do.”

“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody … whether it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president,” Barr said. “I’m gonna do what I think is right. And you know … I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me.”

……..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #35675

Consistent #35676

Consistent #35677

Consistent #35678

ConservativeGranny #35679

I hope he isn’t expecting an Academy Award for this phony performance.

Consistent #35681

Consistent #35683

Consistent #35684

Consistent #35685

Consistent #35691

Consistent #35692

Consistent #35693

Consistent #35695

Consistent #35696

Consistent #35698

Consistent #35709

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.