Barr defends DOJ in Trump..: ‘They probably have pretty good evidence’

Source: The Hill | September 2, 2022 | Dominick Mastrangelo

Barr defends DOJ in Trump investigation: ‘They probably have pretty good evidence’

Former Attorney General William Barr suggested the Department of Justice (DOJ) likely has a strong case that former President Trump improperly took classified documents from the White House when he left office amid an ongoing investigation into the matter.

“Is there any legitimate reason for those materials to be in the former president’s possession?” Barr was asked by Fox News anchor John Roberts during an appearance on the network Friday.

“No. I can’t think of a legitimate reason why they should have been taken out of the government, away from the government, if they are classified,” Barr said.

Barr, who served under Trump, said he was “skeptical” of the former president’s recent claims that he had declassified all of the material in question.

“Because frankly I think it’s highly improbable,” Barr said. “And if in fact he sort of stood over scores of boxes, not knowing really what was in them, and said I hereby declassify everything in here, that would be such an abuse and show such recklessness that it’s almost worse than taking them.”

……..

For the DOJ to have gone this far in its inquiry, Barr said on Friday, “they probably have pretty good evidence.”

“But that’s speculation,” he continued. “And until we see that, it’s hard to say.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.