Barr: US ptntlly has ‘vg evidence’ Trump obstructed justice in clas docs..

Source: The Hill | April 9, 2023 | Stephen Neukam

Barr says US potentially has ‘very good evidence’ Trump obstructed justice in classified documents case

Former Attorney General Bill Barr said Sunday that investigators probing the potential mishandling of classified documents by former President Trump likely have “very good evidence” that Trump attempted to keep authorities from obtaining the materials after he left the White House.

The case against Trump, Barr said, comes down to the matter of how long it took the government to get the materials back, which will play a significant role.

“He had no claim to those documents, especially the classified documents. They belonged to the government. And so, I think he was jerking the government around. And they subpoenaed it. And they tried to jawbone him into delivering documents,” Barr said.

“But the government is investigating the extent to which games were played and there was obstruction in keeping documents from them. And I think that’s a serious potential case. I think they probably have some very good evidence there.”

Barr reiterated Sunday that of all the legal woes facing Trump, the classified documents probe was the one to “be most concerned about.”

Barr said he believed that before classified documents were discovered at the homes of President Biden and former Vice President Mike Pence that Trump was likely to be indicted in that matter.

“And I still think there’s a very good chance of that because — and I think it depends on how sensitive the documents were, but also what evidence they have of obstruction and games-playing by the president and the — and whether he directed people to lie or gave them information that was deceitful to pass onto the government,” Barr said.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.