Breyer retirement hands Biden open Supreme Court seat

Source: Politico | January 26, 2022 | Josh Gerstein and Jonathan Lemire

Justice Stephen Breyer, 83, informed the president last week of his intention to retire, a person briefed on the justice’s plans said.

The Supreme Court’s oldest member — Justice Stephen Breyer — plans to retire, a person familiar with the process said Wednesday, giving President Joe Biden his first, highly coveted opportunity to nominate a member of the nation’s top court.

Breyer, 83, informed the president last week of his intention to retire and indicated he would follow up with an official letter, the person briefed on the justice’s plans said.

……..

Breyer’s move comes after more than a year of pressure from liberal legal activists who urged the appointee of President Bill Clinton to step aside to give Biden a chance to name a jurist who could shape the country’s legal landscape for decades. Biden pledged during his 2020 presidential campaign to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court, a promise White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Wednesday that the president “certainly stands by.”

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #51626

Consistent #51627

Consistent #51628

Consistent #51631

EVERYDAY #51633

People are throwing around names of everyone from Harris to the Obamas. But IMO none of them are qualified because they have no experience in the judiciary. Yes, I know judicial experience is not a requirement, but I expect that these suggested nominees have been so far into politics for decades, whatever they knew about the law and the Constitution is long gone. I believe if they become justices, their opinions will be based on politics, not the Constitution.

One name mentioned is Ketanji Brown Jackson. She is the same judge who ruled against Trump counsel Don McGahn in House of Representatives v, McGahn. Even better would be any judge appointed/nominated by Trump who ruled against him particularly in the 2020 election cases.

But I expect no matter who the President nominates, the GOP will reject. The confirmation hearings are going to be hell.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.