Carter becomes the first president to reach 95th birthday

Source: The Hill | October 1, 2019 | Rachel Frazin

Former President Jimmy Carter celebrated his 95th birthday on Tuesday, becoming the first U.S. president to reach that age.

He was born in Plains, Ga., on Oct. 1, 1924. Carter, a Democrat, served in the White House from 1977-1981.

His one-term in office was marked by inflation and the Iran Hostage crisis, but since leaving office, he has had a notable influence with his humanitarian work.

He founded the Carter Center in 1982 with his wife Rosalynn Carter and has also participat3ed in a number of projects with Habitat for Humanity. He earned the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002. Carter has also taught at Emory University for about 37 years, recently receiving tenure for the work.

The Associated Press reported that the 39th president did not have a public celebration planned for his birthday and CNN reported that he would spend the day at home with his family.

Carter recently became the longest-living U.S. president, surpassing former President George H.W. Bush who died last year.

………

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #32018

EVERYDAY #32021

I used to think Carter was our worst president…till Obama and now Trump came along. But I have no animosity toward him as others do. Whatever wrong he did is long over and has been surpassed by the current and immediately preceding presidents. But I think Carter has redeemed himself in many ways through his charitable works, particularly Habitat for Humanity. And he did serve in the military,, something neither Obama nor President Bone Spurs did. As members of the Greatest Generation leave us, I am grateful for the ones still with us.

Happy Birthday President Carter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.