CBS: Marine combat veteran saved “dozens” of lives in Orlando terror attack

Source: Hot Air | June 14, 2016 | Ed Morrissey

The terrorist attack in Orlando took more lives than in any other massacre in US history, assuming the 9/11 attacks exist in a category of their own. The death toll of 49 lives lost could have been much worse had it not been for the quick thinking of a man used to being under fire. Imran Yousuf, a Marine who saw combat in Afghanistan and was working at Pulse as a bouncer, immediately understood the situation and acted quickly to get people out through a nearby exit. He may have saved more lives than the terrorist took, CBS News reports:

….

“The initial one was three or four (shots). That was a shock. Three of four shots go off and you could tell it was a high caliber,” he said. “Everyone froze. I’m here in the back and I saw people start pouring into the back hallway, and they just sardine pack everyone.”

Yousuf knew just beyond that pack of panicked people — was a door — and safety. But someone had to unlatch it.

“And I’m screaming ‘Open the door! Open the door!’ And no one is moving because they are scared,” he explained. “There was only one choice. Either we all stay there and we all die, or I could take the chance, and I jumped over to open that latch a we got everyone that we can out of there.”

How many people went through the door?

“Probably over 60, 70. As soon as people found that door was open they kept pouring out and after that we just ran,” he explained.

….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.