Cheney breaks with McCarthy on scope of Jan. 6 panel

Source: The Hill | April 26, 2021 | Scott Wong

House Republican Conference Chair Liz Cheney (Wyo.) broke Monday with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), telling reporters that a proposed 9/11-style independent commission should narrowly focus on the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

McCarthy, a close ally of former President Trump, has said the scope of the bipartisan commission should be broader and include other episodes of political violence, like Black Lives Matter and antifa protests around the country that have turned violent at times.

“What happened on Jan. 6 is unprecedented in our history, and I think that it’s very important that the commission be able to focus on that,” Cheney said at a GOP gathering in Florida when asked about the scope of the commission’s probe. 

“I’m very concerned, as all my colleagues are, about the violence that we saw, the BLM, the antifa violence last summer. I think that’s a different set of issues, a different set of problems and a different set of solutions,” she continued. “And so I think it’s very important that the Jan. 6 commission stays focused on what happened on Jan. 6, and what led to that day.”

Cheney’s public break with McCarthy came at the opening of the House Republicans’ annual policy retreat in Orlando. It highlighted the widening gulf between Cheney, the highest-ranking GOP woman in Congress, and McCarthy, the top House Republican leader, at a gathering intended to unify the party behind a common agenda and 2022 campaign message. 

Cheney was one of 10 Republicans who voted to impeach Trump for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection that was aimed at stopping the certification of President Biden’s election victory; McCarthy has been one of Trump’s most loyal, steadfast defenders. 

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48567

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.