Cheney: DOJ would be ‘hard-pressed not to prosecute’ Trump amid…

Source: The Hill | August 4, 2022 | Julia Mueller

Cheney: DOJ would be ‘hard-pressed not to prosecute’ Trump amid ‘mounting evidence’

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) dismissed concerns Thursday that prosecuting former President Trump would martyrize him among his followers. She said there are democratic risks if evidence against Trump is ignored.

“The question for us is, are we a nation of laws? Are we a country where no one is above the law? And what do the facts and the evidence show?” Cheney told CNN’s Kasie Hunt in an interview aired Thursday.

Cheney is one of two Republicans on the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack at the Capitol, and among many panel members who have urged the Department of Justice (DOJ) to investigate Trump for his actions leading up to Jan. 6 and his alleged attempts to overturn the 2020 presidential election. 

“I’ve been very clear: I think he’s guilty of the most serious dereliction of duty of any president in our nation’s history,” the Wyoming congresswoman said Thursday.

Amid mounting evidence against the former president, the DOJ would be hard-pressed not to prosecute, Cheney added. 

“How do we then call ourselves a nation of laws? I think that’s a very serious, serious balancing.”

The DOJ’s criminal probe into the circumstances surrounding Jan. 6 has reportedly begun to home in on the former president, sparking questions about potential criminal prosecution.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.