Cheney: I can't ignore Trump because he 'continues to be a real danger'

Source: The Hill | May 16, 2021 | Joseph Choi

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), who was recently ousted as House Republican Conference Chair, said on Sunday that she could not simply ignore former President Trump because he “continues to be a real danger.”

“Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace asked Cheney why she could not ignore Trump, instead of attacking him which he said would “alienate” Trump’s millions of supporters in the GOP.

“Well, you know, I wish we could do that Chris but unfortunately, as I said over the course of the last several weeks, former President Trump continues to be a real danger,” Cheney said.

“What he’s doing and what he’s saying — his claims, his refusal to accept decisions by the courts. His claims continued as recently as yesterday that somehow this election was stolen,” she continued. “You know what he’s doing is he’s causing people to believe that they can’t count on our electoral process to actually convey the will of the people.”

“Those millions of people that you mentioned, who supported the President, have been misled. They’ve been betrayed,” Cheney added.

When asked if she believed House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and newly elected House Republican Conference Chair Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) were “complicit” in Trump’s lies, Cheney said she did believe so.

“They are, and I’m not willing to do that,” Cheney told Wallace. “I think that there are some things that have to be bigger than party, they have to be bigger than partisanship. Our oaths to the Constitution is one of those,” Cheney said.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.