Cheney: Pence ‘was essentially the president for most of’ Jan. 6

Source: The Hill | September 19, 2022 | Mychael Schnell

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) on Monday said former Vice President Mike Pence “was essentially the president for most of” the day on Jan. 6, 2021, when a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol in a failed effort to stop the counting of electoral votes for the 2020 presidential election.

“If you watched our hearings closely, you know that Mike Pence was essentially the president for most of that day,” Cheney, one of the two Republicans serving on the Jan. 6 House select committee, said in remarks delivered at the American Enterprise Institution.

“White House staff knew it, and so did every other Republican and Democratic leader in Washington,” she added.

In their public hearing on July 21, the Jan. 6 select committee documented Trump’s inaction during 187 minutes of the riot — he did not contact senior law enforcement and military leaders, D.C. government officials or Pence — and put a spotlight on the vice president’s role in mobilizing authorities to quell the mob.

The panel has sought to demonstrate that Trump was at the center of a scheme to keep himself in power.

Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Pence called him two or three times during the riot.

“He was very animated and he issued very explicit, very direct, unambiguous orders. There was no question about that,” Milley said in a clip of his deposition shown at the hearing.

“And he was — and I can give you the exact quotes I guess from some of our record somewhere, but he was very animated, very direct, very firm,” he added.

In response to a question Monday about Pence’s role on Jan. 6, and if he may have exceeded his constitutional duty, Cheney said the then-vice president “was doing absolutely what you would expect anybody in that situation to do.”

“I think that when you look at the other people who were involved that day and the actions they took, they all were acting in a way that you would expect them to. And I don’t believe that at any point the vice president exceeded his constitutional duties and obligations by saying ‘the Capitol is under attack and it needs to stop and we need to get help here,’” she added.

……..

Cheney on Monday night also told a story from Jan. 6, when Republican lawmakers were in the GOP cloakroom before the riot signing up to object to slates of electors.

“As I was sitting there, a member came in and he signed his name on each one of the state’s sheets. And then he said under his breath, ‘the things we do for the orange Jesus.’ And I thought, you know, you’re taking an act that is unconstitutional,” Cheney recalled.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.