Cheney, top GOP lawmakers ask Trump campaign for proof of election fraud

Source: The Hill | November 20, 2020 | Tal Axelrod and Juliegrace Brufke

A number of House Republicans, including House Republican Conference Chair Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), are casting doubt on the Trump campaign’s claims of widespread voter fraud.

Cheney, the No. 3 Republican in the House who has at times broken with the administration on key issues, said it is time for President Trump and his legal team to back up their claims of widespread voter fraud with evidence as they blanket swing states with lawsuits contesting election results showing victories for President-elect Joe Biden.

“America is governed by the rule of law. The President and his lawyers have made claims of criminality and widespread fraud, which they allege could impact election results,” Cheney said in a statement. “If they have genuine evidence of this, they are obligated to present it immediately in court and to the American people.

“I understand that the President has filed more than thirty separate lawsuits. If he is unsatisfied with the results in those lawsuits, then the appropriate avenue is to appeal,” she added. “If the President cannot prove these claims or demonstrate that they would change the election result, he should fulfill his oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States by respecting the sanctity of our electoral process.”

A handful of other GOP House members echoed Cheney’s sentiments, recognizing that the president faces an uphill battle in overturning election results in any given state, let alone enough states to win him a second term. With Biden projected to have clinched 306 Electoral College votes, Trump would have to flip several states to reverse the results of the presidential contest.

Trump’s team has yet to win a single major lawsuit, and time is running out given looming deadlines for states to certify their election results.

“I’ve not seen any evidence of fraud that would overturn 150,000 and some votes,” Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.) told reporters Friday, adding he does not believe the election will end up in the House. “I don’t see judges overturning the results of the certified elections. No one has shown any evidence.”

Rep. Denver Riggleman (R-Va.), one of the first lawmakers to speak out against unfounded allegations of voter fraud, said the Trump campaign’s lack of success in the courts proves there isn’t legitimate evidence to back its case.

”I feel like we’re watching one of history’s great grifts based on what we saw from Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani yesterday — this feels like a money-making venture,” he said. “I mean, their court case record is worse, I think, than the 1989 Dallas Cowboys.”

Riggleman added that he is disappointed more GOP lawmakers haven’t come out against the claims.

“There are smart, smart people up there that are not coming out and not identifying this for what it is, and this is simply a conspiratorial grift … I believe it’s a fundraising venture,” he said. “The thing is, though, is that when you’re spouting these type of ridiculous alternative facts, there are people that believe it and I think it’s time for everybody to sort of rise up in the GOP and say, ‘This is enough.'”

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.