Chris Hipkins to replace Jacinda Ardern as New Zealand PM

Source: The Hill | January 21, 2023 | Julia Shapero

Chris Hipkins will replace Jacinda Ardern as prime minister of New Zealand, following Ardern’s surprise announcement earlier this week that she plans to step down several months ahead of the country’s general election.

Members of the Labour caucus unanimously endorsed Hipkins on Sunday in New Zealand, after he emerged as the sole potential candidate on Saturday.

“I’ve been humbled by the support shown by my colleagues but also really excited by the focus and commitment that I have seen from them to make this a speedy and seamless transition in the best interest of all New Zealanders,” he said at a press conference on Sunday.

Hipkins will be sworn in on Wednesday morning, after joining Ardern for her final formal engagement as prime minister on Tuesday.

Ardern announced her resignation on Thursday, saying she no longer had “enough in the tank” to continue leading the country. The announcement comes well ahead of New Zealand’s general election this year, which is set to occur in mid-October.

“I am leaving because with such a privileged role comes responsibility — the responsibility to know when you are the right person to lead and also when you are not,” Ardern said. “I know what this job takes, and I know that I no longer have enough in the tank to do it justice. It’s that simple.”

Ardern, who became the world’s youngest female leader when she took office in 2017, garnered international attention throughout her tenure as New Zealand’s prime minister. She was only the second world leader to give birth while in office when she had her daughter in 2018.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.