Christianity Today editor defends calling for Trump's removal

Source: The Hill | December 20, 2019 | Alicia Cohn

The editor-in-chief of Christianity Today, an evangelical magazine that has been publishing since 1956, on Friday defended writing an editorial that calls for President Trump’s removal from office.

“It’s not like I have any personal animus against the president,” Mark Galli told NPR. “But he does display characteristics that I think as a leader of a great nation like the United States are deeply problematic.”

The editorial hit like a bombshell when it was published online Thursday with the headline “Trump should be removed from office,” due to the prominence of the magazine and the fact that Trump has enjoyed consistent support from the majority of evangelicals during his time in office.

In March, 78 percent of evangelicals in a survey said they approved of Trump’s job performance, according to the Pew Research Center.

“To be the most charitable to my brothers and sisters, I do think they are passionately concerned about pro-life issues,” Galli told NPR, noting that most Christians are also “passionately concerned about religious freedom issues.”

“So I will give them that, in that sense that Trump has done a very good job of defending those causes in our minds,” he said. “But we’ve gotten to a point where those things no longer balance the scale.”

He went on to compare Trump to an abusive husband who might be a “good provider” but “needs to leave the house.”

Galli noted that in 1998 the magazine criticized President Clinton for “unsavory dealings and immoral acts” and said his editorial about Trump was “very consistent” with that.

Trump “slanders people, he tells us, he mischaracterizes people, he outright lies, he says things that are verbally abusive to others,” he said.

“These are all moral problems,” he continued. “You don’t have to even be a religious person to recognize that they’re moral problems.”

The editorial evoked condemnation from a number of evangelical leaders.

Franklin Graham, the son of magazine founder Billy Graham, told The Washington Post his father “would’ve been very embarrassed that the magazine he started would call for something like this when there are no crimes committed.”

“I disagree with him on that,” Galli told NPR of Graham. “That’s all I can say.”

Trump has also attacked the magazine over the editorial, tweeting on Friday that it is “far left” and “has been doing poorly.”

……..

Galli wrote the editorial days before he plans to step down as editor-in-chief of the magazine in January.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #34342

Consistent #34343

Consistent #34344

Consistent #34345

Consistent #34346

Consistent #34347

Consistent #34348

EVERYDAY #34350

I don’t believe Trump can read above maybe a third grade level. He has “people” read for him. I suppose one of his “people” read the article, told him about it and said something like here is something for you to complain about and your fans will love it if you do.

This is going to be the meme now among the Trump faithful: Christianity Today is a liberal , Soros-funded publication, so if you are an Evangelical or any other type of Christian, don’t read it. Everyone who is the least bit critical of Trump is a traitor, enemy of the state, linked to Democrats, Soros or whoever the enemy du jour is on any given day. Funny, but I heard almost similar things when Obama was president and anyone who opposed him had to be a racist, hater, etc. It’s a commie tactic designed to marginalize and destroy any opposition.

Consistent #34355

Consistent #34362

Consistent #34363

Consistent #34366

Consistent #34370

Consistent #34383

EVERYDAY #34385

I wonder if Billy Graham really did vote for the orange one, or if Franklin Graham is making that up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.