Climbers rescue dog trapped for weeks in old mine shaft near Fairplay (CO)

Source: 9News | October 20, 2017 | Kelly Jensen

FAIRPLAY – A group of hikers in Park County saved a dog’s life after hearing anguished barks coming from an abandoned mine shaft. 

Preston Gladd was hiking last week near Beaver Creek in Park County when he heard some growling or whining coming from a tiny entrance to an old mine. 

He assumed it was a wild animal and left it alone, especially since he was with his own dogs at the time and wanted to keep them safe. 

But, Preston thought about it some more. After a week of contemplation, he decided to go back.

On his second trip, he heard distinct barking and realized it was a dog. Preston ran home to get his climbing buddy, Gannon, and his girlfriend, Portia, to help. 

…….

Preston and Gannon came back with Portia, and, using their climbing equipment, harnessed in and rappelled into the shaft about 20 feet down.

At the bottom was the dog – skinny and scared. They would later learn her name is Cheyenne. 

The friends took Cheyenne to a local vet and discovered she wasn’t micro chipped. She had a collar on, but had no tag or phone number listed to call. 

Thanks to a public post on her Facebook page, Portia was able to get in touch with Cheyenne’s family after hundreds of comments from the community. 

Many people posted a ‘lost dog’ post from the South Park Bulletin from Oct. 6, and sure enough, it was Cheyenne!

While they waited for the owner to coordinate getting her back, the friends took Cheyenne home, and with advice from a veterinarian, got her fed, washed, and hydrated. 

Not even a full day later, on Thursday, the owner had been contacted via Facebook, and a friend of his from the Fairplay area was working to bring Cheyenne back to her family near Denver. 

We love a happy ending! 

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.