Clyburn: 'We're teetering on' giving president 'authority to be dictator'

Source: The Hill | November 11, 2020 | John Bowden

House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) said Tuesday that he sees parallels between the conduct of Republicans following President Trump’s electoral defeat last week and Germany in the 1930s when the Nazi Party came to power.

In an interview with CNN, the high-ranking House Democrat said that the U.S. was “teetering” on the edge of fascism, warning that the president’s attempts to overturn the results of last Tuesday’s election raised the possibility that Trump could become a “dictator.”

“I’ve been telling people for a long time now, I’m beginning to see what happened in Germany back in the 1930s,” Clyburn told host Chris Cuomo.

“I never thought that could happen in this country. How do you elect a person president, then all of a sudden give him the authority to be dictator? That’s what we’re teetering on here,” he continued.

Clyburn added that he did not expect Trump to transition into an authoritarian figure, but said that the U.S. was in for some “rough sledding” as the president contests the results of the election, which was called for his opponent, former Vice President Joe Biden, on Saturday.

“I do believe that we are in for some rough sledding, but I don’t think it’s going to get any more ugly than it already has been,” said the House majority whip.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.