Conway defends herself against Hatch Act allegations amid subpoena threat

Source: The Hill | June 24, 2019 | Brett Samuels

Kellyanne Conway on Monday claimed allegations she violated the Hatch Act are politically motivated, after a House committee floated a subpoena for the White House counselor.

The House Oversight and Reform Committee will vote this week on a subpoena to compel Conway to testify on the Office of Special Counsel’s (OSC) finding that she violated the law barring officials from weighing in on elections in their government capacity.

“You know what they’re mad about?” Conway said during an appearance on “Fox & Friends” on Monday. “They want to put a big roll of masking tape over my mouth because I helped as the campaign manager for the successful part of the campaign.”

“I helped by being on television, by being on radio, I helped and they want to silence me now,” she continued. “This is my First Amendment right, they want to chill free speech because they don’t know how to beat [Trump] at the ballot box.”

Conway argued the law is unclear whether it applies to an assistant to the president; that she hasn’t violated the statute; that Democrats are attempting to silence her right to free speech; and that a watchdog group responsible for numerous Hatch Act complaints is a “left-wing propaganda machine.”

……

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.