Could Wendy Davis challenge Ted Cruz in 2018?

Source: Washington Examiner | July 27, 2016 | Ashe Schow

PHILADELPHIA — Former Democratic Texas gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis wouldn’t rule out a challenge to Republican Sen. Ted Cruz when asked about her ambitions at the Democratic National Convention.

Davis, who did “unusually” poorly in her gubernatorial bid, was speaking at a women’s event at the Democratic Convention when the Washington Examiner asked her about whether she would consider running against Cruz when his term is up in 2018.

“I don’t know. I honestly don’t know,” she said. But then she smiled and added: “We’ll see what the future holds.”

Earlier in the evening, when asked by the Examiner if she would ever consider running again, Davis said she would consider it.

“I hope to run for office again one day,” Davis said. “I don’t know if I will, honestly, but I miss being in public service and I feel like I have something to offer and I hope I have the opportunity to run some day.”

She wouldn’t say if she had any regrets about her gubernatorial campaign, but did say she “learned a lot of lessons.” Hopefully lessons like: Don’t use your opponent’s disability in an attack ad.

….

Would Davis have a chance against Cruz in 2018? Unlikely. She lost spectacularly to Gov. Greg Abbott, and even though Cruz’s image has taken a hit from his failed presidential run, he’s still a strong conservative in the Senate from a deeply red state.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.