Council on Foreign Relations president invokes former boss Reagan in quitting GOP

Source: The Hill | February 10, 2021 | Celine Castronuovo

Council on Foreign Relations President Richard Haass on Wednesday announced that he has officially left the Republican Party, invoking a version of former President Reagan’s famous quote: “I didn’t leave the Republican Party; the Party left me.”

Haass, a veteran diplomat who worked under multiple presidential administrations, tweeted Wednesday that he had changed his voter registration to “no party affiliation” after 40 years as a member of the Republican Party.

“I worked for Reagan & Bush 41 & 43. But today’s Rep Party no longer embraces the policies & principles that led me to join it,” Haass wrote.

“To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn’t leave the Republican Party; the Party left me,” he added, referencing the reasoning Reagan gave after switching from the Democratic to the Republican Party in 1962.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #47330

Consistent #47331

EVERYDAY #47334

Said the same thing to conservative friends when I left the GOP in 2012. I only came back to vote for Ted Cruz in the 2016 primary in PA, but when he lost to Trump, I went back to being an independent. The party had been swirling the bowl before Trump ran for president. He has just about finished the party off.

Bravo to Mr. Haass.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.