Cruz faces flak over apparent Cancun trip during Texas crisis

Source: Politico | February 18, 2021 | Andrew Desiderio and Marianne Levine

Pictures began rocketing around Twitter of the Texas GOP senator and potential 2024 presidential hopeful traveling with his family to Cancun.

As his home state grappled with devastating winter storms, Ted Cruz was facing a torrent of criticism on Thursday — seemingly caught fleeing frozen Texas for a getaway in sunny Cancun.

Pictures began rocketing around Twitter late Wednesday night of the Texas GOP senator and potential 2024 presidential hopeful traveling with his family to Cancun while his state deals with unprecedented power outages and sub-freezing temperatures. Flight data on Thursday morning suggested that Cruz could be flying back to Texas only one day after arriving, but the backlash against him already had begun.

……..

The Senate is on a scheduled recess this week, with many senators returning to work in their home states. Meanwhile, winter storms have pummeled cities across Texas all week, leaving millions of residents unable to heat their homes or buy food. Cruz urged Texans during a Monday radio interview to “just stay home” as the winter weather was bearing down on the state.

……..

Cruz’s latest problem began late Wednesday, when Twitter users began sharing photos allegedly showing Cruz and his family in line to board a flight at Houston’s George Bush International Airport. The flight departed in the 4 p.m. hour on Wednesday en route to Cancun, the resort city in Mexico, according to those users.

Additional photos later circulated on Twitter showing Cruz on the plane, including one of him seated and reading from his phone. By Thursday morning, Democratic group American Bridge was calling for his resignation.

According to the flight-tracking service FlightAware, the United Airlines jet departed just before 5 p.m. local time and landed in Cancun at around 7:45 p.m.

Beto O’Rourke, the Democrat Cruz defeated in 2018’s Texas Senate race, tweeted that he spent Wednesday night on a phone-banking effort to check in on senior citizens. O’Rourke also has been using his Twitter account to direct Texans toward shelters and food banks.

……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #47470

Consistent #47473

Consistent #47475

Consistent #47482

Consistent #47483

EVERYDAY #47484

Maybe I would be upset if I lived in Texas, but frankly, I really don’t care about Ted’s vacation. Indeed, most politicians are totally useless in a disaster. About all they do is show up looking concerned, shake some hands and perform in front of the camera. When the cameras leave, so do they. Rarely do they do anything tangibly helpful for the unfortunate in these situations. Why should they pretend to care when we know they really don’t?

Personally, I’d rather he stay in Mexico. Only…I’m not sure Mexico would want to keep him.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.