Cruz: Senate in Danger, Texas GOP Can't Stay Home

Source: Texas Tribune | September 16, 2016 | Patrick Svitek

KINGWOOD — U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, declared Friday that the GOP majority in the Senate is in serious danger, and he warned Texas Republicans in particular against sitting out the state’s races in November.

“This election, the Senate is hanging by a thread, and I do not want to wake up in November and hear these words: Majority Leader Chuck Schumer,” Cruz said at an annual rally held by the Kingwood Tea Party. “I promise that would be a bad, bad thing for our nation, so I am working hard to help my colleagues in tough races get re-elected.”

“Whatever happens, we need a check of a Republican Senate to check the executive and protect our liberty,” Cruz added, touting how he is raising money and contributing to get-out-the-vote efforts for his vulnerable colleagues.

….

Cruz did not mention Trump on Friday but called Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton “manifestly unfit to be the president of the United States.” He also revived a joke about her from his presidential campaign, saying, “I do have some government housing in mind for her, but it’s a little smaller and has fewer windows.”

….

“If conservatives decide, ‘I may not be happy with how this election turned out, so I’ll just stay home,’ it doesn’t take that many to have an enormous impact on the outcome,” Cruz said. “It doesn’t take that many staying home in county after county after county to suddenly start seeing devastating losses, massive wins for Democrats on local judicial races, on state rep races, on state Senate races, on races up and down the ticket … particularly in close big urban counties.”

…..

“I am working hard to preserve our Senate majority, and this election we have a number of Republicans in tough, close races, and I’m going to do everything I can to keep the Senate in Republican hands so that we can have a majority that can fight to defend our freedom,” Cruz told The Texas Tribune.

…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.