D.C. schools go all virtual, with mayor citing parent concerns and ‘workforce’ gaps

Source: Politico | July 30, 2020 | Michael Stratford

D.C. follows neighboring school districts, all of which have announced plans to begin the school year with online-only instruction.

Schools in the nation’s capital will remain completely virtual when they reopen next month, District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser announced Thursday.

While the city has largely been able to keep coronavirus spread from increasing in recent weeks, Bowser pointed to staffing concerns and unease among parents as key to the decision not to initially reopen schools for in-person learning, alluding to negotiations with teachers unions.

“I wouldn’t say that the attention to the health metrics is the only thing leading to our decision today,” the mayor said. “Clearly we want to work with our workforce. We want to make sure parents have confidence in an in-person option and make sure that, when we do have an in-person option, we can maximize the attendance of our teachers and our kids.”

……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  •  ConservativeGranny #41580

So Trump’s son won’t be going to school.

EVERYDAY #41585

Maybe, maybe not. I’m uncertain this applies to private or religious schools.

ConservativeGranny #41590

He goes to St. Andrew’s Episcopal School and it will be making its final decision August 10.

EVERYDAY #41602

Thanks, Granny.

I understand that a number of our schools locally are going online only — at least temporarily for the first several weeks. Trump can go pound sand. The individual districts, teachers and parents have to be the ones to decide what is best for the kids. Right now, it seems many of them don’t feel sending the kids to school is safe. I guess I don’t blame them.

EVERYDAY #41625

Granny, it looks like Montgomery County, Maryland where St. Andrew’s is located has made the decision about reopening for the school. No in-person learning till October.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/01/politics/barron-trump-private-school-maryland-order-coronavirus/index.html

ConservativeGranny #41634

Thanks for the update Everyday!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.