Dem lawmaker: Why can't resolution 'singularly condemn' anti-Semitism?

Source: The Hill | March 7, 2019 | Juliegrace Brufke

Rep. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) called on the House on Thursday to pass a resolution that would “singularly condemn” anti-Semitism in the wake of Rep. Ilhan Omar’s (D-Minn.) recent controversial comments on U.S.-Israel relations.

Deutch pointed to numerous examples of remarks made by both Republicans and Democrats that have been perceived as anti-Semitic, arguing Congress needs to take a stand to prevent hate and acts of violence against the Jewish community.

His remarks come as the House gears up to vote on a resolution that was broadened to condemn other forms of hate including Islamophobia and white supremacy.

The initial resolution sought to condemn anti-Semitism following Omar’s controversial comments that pro-Israel groups are pushing for “allegiance to a foreign country,” which brought to mind historical charges of dual loyalty that have sometimes been leveled against Jews.

But a number of liberals and members of key minority caucuses balked at singling out the freshman congresswoman and called for broadening the resolution to include different kinds of hate.

“We are having this debate because of the language one of our colleagues, language that suggests Jews like me who serve in the United States in Congress and whose father earned a purple heart fighting the Nazis in the Battle of the Bulge, that we are not loyal Americans?” said Deutch.

“Why are we unable to singularly condemn anti-Semitism? Why can’t we call it anti-Semitism and show we’ve learned the lessons of history?” he asked.

Deutch argued that while all forms of hatred should be condemned, he felt that Omar invoking “anti-Semitic lies three times” should be “taken seriously on its own.”

……..

“Jews control the world? Jews care only about money? Jews have dual loyalty and can’t be patriotic members of the country which they live?” he concluded. “Words matter. For generations, they have had dangerous consequences for me, for my family and for my people. This shouldn’t be so hard.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28254

Consistent #28255

Consistent #28256

Consistent #28257

Consistent #28258

Consistent #28259

Consistent #28262

Consistent #28263

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.